450B steering clutches

IBDozing Discussion Groups: John Deere: 450B steering clutches

By RRI (172.175.240.97) on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 7:33 am:

I'm going to attempt to rebuild the steering clutches on my 450B. Are there any pitfalls to look out for?

By pdmech (24.59.186.85) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 7:10 am:

Should be a pretty straight forward job. However there is an intermediate shaft between the steering clutches that can be difficult to remove if rusty. A lot of penetrating oil and a good slide hammer usually does the trick. Just remember to use neversieze on everything, including that shaft, when re-assembling. If you need discs, pressure plates or anything else, keep us in mind. We have new aftermarket parts available for that and many other machines and AG tractors.

By Bob Washington (66.216.217.10) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 9:06 pm:

Looking at a 450C that may need a transmission overhaul. Any ideas cost for parts and labor?

By Gus (64.12.117.7) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 5:01 am:

Had my 450B done two years ago. $4000.00

By tony1 (65.88.99.11) on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 8:49 pm:

Can anyone give me a little info on adjusting steering brake on a 450 i think a 1968 model i was told under the seat but i was also told the cover on the side can anyone help thanks.

By bgtrkchuck (71.241.176.66) on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 9:33 pm:

If the brakes are not completely worn out you can adjust them by removing the large plug on the side of the steering clutch housing. It's just above the tracks, a 3/4" drive ratchet fits in to remove it. Inside there is a "star" looking wheel similar to what is used for drum brakes on a car or truck. It's all the same principal. It will click as you tighten them. To loosen them you have to reach in with a long skinny screwdriver to push the adjusting lever so it's just off the "star" wheel. If you can't turn them anymore in the direction they click (tighten) then the brakes are worn beyond service. They aren't too bad to replace, just time consuming. I highly recommend getting the Tech service manual from Deere for this precedure.

By Greg Ramsey on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 12:32 am:

clutch replacement

I have the opportunity to borrow a John Deere 450 B bulldozer for the price of replacing on of the steering clutches. I was a farm implement mechanic and have the tools to do most any repair. Before I make this commitment I would like to know how many hours does it take to change a steering clutch, what will the parts cost, and is there any thing else to look for while you have the clutch apart. In addition, where is a good place to buy a technical manual? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

By seo service on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 10:11 pm:

J8vbqj I loved your blog.Much thanks again. Fantastic.

By only for 5 dollars on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 10:19 am:

MhrOhI Say, you got a nice blog post.Much thanks again. Really Cool.

By only for 5 dollars on Friday, September 13, 2013 - 4:19 am:

qJLEv5 Muchos Gracias for your post. Awesome.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: